Rarely has a house had such a colourful and well documented history. Links to Rhodri Mawr the King of all Wales in the 9th Century and continuous family ownership since 1550 are just some of the highlights. Gwysaney is recorded in the Doomsday Book in the 9th Century and it is believed that the first house was originally located at Shifna Hir and the present Hall was built on the current site in 1603 by Robert Davies. The Hall was originally designed and built in a formal H shape, but the east wing cracked in 1825 and required rebuilding – the stone was used to extend the Hall to the west. Perhaps Gwysaney’s most notable moment was in 1645 when the Hall was besieged and taken by Oliver Cromwell’s Roundheads. All that remains from the scars of the battle is damage to the front door caused by a cannon ball!
Gwysaney Hall is one of North Wales’ finest and most historic residential houses, situated in an accessible location about 8 miles from the Cheshire border. At its heart is much of the original Hall, built in 1603, which has seen many changes over the years, including a partial rebuild in the mid 19th Century. The Hall has been in the present owner’s family for over 450 years.
The front door leads to a fine panelled reception hall, which was part of the original Hall. A pair of stained glass doors open onto a central corridor which gives access to much of the ground floor. A panelled drawing room with a wide square bay window at one end, gives extensive views over the adjoining parkland and beyond. The fine chimney piece is believed to have been created using material from the original sixteenth century staircase with two newels incorporating the Davies-Cooke coat of arms and crest, mounted by an ornamental overmantle believed to have come from the chapel within the original Hall. At the front of the Hall are the everyday reception rooms which include a sitting room (The Smoking Room) with massive carved stone chimney piece, part panelled walls and a window seat, and a study with ornate carved chimney piece, both with wonderful views.
The impressive dining room has a fine stone arched recess at one end. There are doors from the corridor to a large kitchen/breakfast room with a beamed arch opening into a secondary kitchen. A stone floor, with underfloor heating, runs throughout the kitchen and garden room; a pantry and larder are found just off the main kitchen. Beyond the dining room is a small office, which was probably originally a staff sitting room due to the high windows.
Also off the central corridor is a lift which runs to the top floor, a door to a good wine cellar, a cloakroom, a coat cupboard and stone steps down to a basement which houses china stores, a workshop and general storage areas.
Behind the reception hall is a charming inner hall with a magnificent stone arch to the staircase hall and also leading to the panelled billiard room/library. A staircase rises through a series of half landings dividing towards the top onto the principal landings.
The central landing, accessible via the lift, leads to a large bedroom with a date stone of 1603, with a window seat overlooking the front park. The Master Bedroom suite is accessed through a large oak door comprising an inner landing leading to a large bedroom with imposing views of front park and The Cheshire Plains. There is an en suite bathroom, with a further door to a dressing room. Also accessed off this landing are two further bedrooms. A fourth bedroom, which is in what would have been in the original part of the Hall, has a magnificent stone chimney piece above which are found steps which would have led to the original priest hole beside the fireplace. There is an adjoining bathroom. The remaining four bedrooms are in the west wing and include two at the front of the house with lovely views, both with fireplaces.
On the opposite side of the landing are stairs down to the side entrance hall, a bathroom and separate WC, the Oak bedroom, a half panelled room with views over the back garden and a second bedroom. There is also a linen cupboard and a further bathroom. The central staircase continues up to the top floor and divides into two landings connected by a walk-through room, which also gives access to the lift. This floor provides scope for a further five bedrooms and also has a shower room and separate WC, a drying room, ironing room and walk-in attic. There is a secondary staircase down to the first floor and two further sets of stairs, one leading to two former staff bedrooms and the other to a flat roof from which there are superb views.
At the western end of the Hall is the former staff wing, accessed directly from the ground floor and comprising laundry, boiler room and garage with a sitting room/office, kitchen, bedroom and shower room on the first floor. Directly off the courtyard is a single storey building with separate gardeners’ WCs.
Included in the sale of Gwysaney Hall are two three bedroom cottages.
Garden Cottage is a very pretty detached Grade II listed house overlooking lawned gardens to the front.
The cottage is wonderfully spacious, and comprises: Dining hall | Sitting room | Kitchen | Conservatory | Utility room | WC | 3 bedrooms, Bathroom | Garden | Patio | Council Tax Band: G The house has oil fired central heating, private drainage and currently on private water supply (ready to be connected to mains water).
Found behind Gwysaney Hall, Stable Cottage is a Grade II listed house built of ornate stonework under a slate roof. At the time of the brochure going to press (May 2019), Stable Cottage was undergoing a programme of redecoration.
The cottage forms the gable end of the stable block and comprises: Sitting room | Kitchen | Pantry | Utility room | WC | 3 Bedrooms | Bathroom | Council Tax Band: C
The house has oil fired central heating, private drainage and currently on private water supply (ready to be connected to mains water).
The drive leads to the back of the Hall to a parking and turning area, and there is a gravelled sweep forking along the front facade. Grass lawns lead down to the haha with views across fields and woods beyond. A gravelled path leads through the Listed wrought iron Davies gates to the east front and Chapel Garden. From a flower border and small retaining wall are dramatic views over the parkland.
The Chapel Garden includes a former chapel once attached to the Hall, with original walls and stone mullioned windows and, from here, wrought iron gates lead through a Yew arch to a Rose Garden with paths, box hedges, and flower borders all enclosed by clipped hedges, stone walls and a back drop of specimen trees.
A gate and path at the north of the Chapel Garden leads to a path flanked by a Yew hedge dropping down to a dramatic Water Garden on the side of the hill below the Hall. A brick path leads through woodland underplanted with shrubs and spring bulbs. A sequence of small ponds fall down the hill and the circular walk through the water gardens returns to the path and steps up to Gwysaney Hall. A wrought iron gate leads to a wide grass path through to an outstanding Pinetum with a wide variety of specimen trees including Corsican Pine, Wellingtonia, Cedar of Lebanon and hardwoods underplanted with spring bulbs.
A dry earth path continues through Rhododendrons to a small gate in a stone wall with views across farmland and woodland to hills and mountains beyond. Returning back through the Pinetum via a second path one arrives at the kitchen gardens. A former walled garden, now with only one wall remaining incorporates a ménage, areas of lawn, a fenced kitchen garden, fruit cages, potting shed, two greenhouses and brick walled cold frames.
An entrance through a stone wall leads to a grass courtyard flanked by Garden Cottage, Stable Cottage and through to stables and hay stores, garages and outbuildings, and a large parking area to the rear of the house flanked by flowering borders.
Approximate Square Meters :
Lot Acres: 26.59